Strength & Strategies.
Targeted 4% growth in agriculture sector through
- Higher investment in agriculture sector in project mode and interventions in the existing schemes.
- Reducing the yield gaps in important crops through focused attention/ interventions
- Timely arrangements and easy access of inputs (seeds, fertilizers, technology, etc.)
- Ensuring supplies of quality inputs & services.
- Impetus on soil & water management.
- Augmenting Seed/Grain Storage Capacity of Farmers.
- Gearing up Extension Network & Capacity building of Farmers in Quality Seed Production.
- Timely sowing of treated seeds of rice, maize etc.,
- Thrust on Certified seed production through Seed Village Scheme, farm infra-structure development, Seed treatment, Creation of Irrigation Resources, Use of balanced dose of fertilizers, appropriate IPM Strategies
- Quality control regulations on seeds vigorously enforced.
- Fertilizer Monitoring System (FMS) followed as per guidelines.
100% Seed Treatment Campaign:
- To ensure sowing of 100% treated Seed, Agriculture Department regularly organizes campaign on seed treatment and against sale of spurious pesticides.
- Pesticide Quality Control Measures are being rigorously enforced.
Diversification in cropping system to:
- Reduce pressure on water resources
- Provide alternatives for marketable crop products and higher income
- Generate more employment opportunities through crops having scope in value addition such as MAPs, Bamboo, Flowers, Fruits, Sericulture, etc.
- Augment credit through Kisan Credit Cards.
Interventions initiated in the Horticulture Sector:
- Promotion of area expansion under fruit plantation programme.
- Production of quality plant material through establishment of fruit plant nurseries.
- Creation of irrigation facilities.
- Development of Horticulture in dryland and hilly areas.
- Development of special, rare and minor fruits including berries.
- Protection of fruit crops against various pests and diseases through supply of plant protection appliances.
Infrastructure Augmentation in Horticulture (P&M):
Infrastructure created by the establishment of a network of:
- 9 Satellite Markets at Kulgam, Shopian, Pulwama, Anantnag, Chari-sharief, Baramulla, Handwara Kupwara & Udhampur. The major fruit Producing areas of the State.
- 3 Terminal Markets at Sopore,Parimpora & Narwal.
- Kissan Ghar at Jammu and Delhi.
- The work for the establishment of 5 Fruit & Vegetable Markets at Kathua, Bishnah, Batote, Akhnoor & Rajouri is in progress.